Popular Posts

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Watery grave


I was in the living room when I first heard it; watching one of many favorite scifi movies. At first I thought it was just the movie, and I looked at the cats and they were still sound asleep. Then after several minutes I heard the sound again.

"Did you hear that?" I said sitting straight up looking at the closed door of the second bedroom.

"Hear what," he said not taking his eyes off the movie?

"That scratching noise I can hear it,", I said looking at him trying to get him to see my concern. "I think it's coming from the bedroom."

"I don't hear anything, Renee, can you just be quiet I want to watch the movie." he said sighing and staring even more intently at the television screen.

"I heard something though, it's not the mo -,"

"Shhh!" he interrupted.



I glared at him then continued watching the movie, keeping an eye on the cats, they were stirring in their sleep. I looked at the bedroom again and didn't hear anything, so I continued to watch the movie.
  
Then, BANG, BANG came from the second bedroom. I jumped to my feet with my hands over my heart feeling the beat rate rise and rise. The cats were both next to me staring intently at the door.

"Did you freaking hear THAT?" I yelled at him, eyes bulging out of my head.

"Yeah, I heard it, something pro -

"Well go check it out, why are you still sitting there, even the cats are spooked," I said, my voice trembling. "I have a weird feeling, go check it out!"

"Ok, ok, calm down, you shouldn't keep that door shut," he said scolding me.
  
The cats and I don't hear him we are just staring at the door, I wished it would just open on it's own and reveal whatever was going on inside. He went inside and was out of sight for several moments, and then there was a loud thud, as if someone fell to the floor. The cats darted to the master bedroom and hid under the bed.

"What is it, did something fall?"

After waiting several moments without a response I dragged my legs toward the guest to try and figure out what happened.

"Boo," Marissa said jumping out and scaring the crap out of me.

"Damn it, Marissa, you scared the crap out of me, what the hell."

"Well who did you think it was, silly," she said walking up to me and kissing my lips then my neck with passion.
  
"How did you do it?"
  
"I thought a shot of poison would be best, less messy. I didn't want any blood to clean up. It'll be hard enough getting rid of the body," Marissa said looking down at him, biting her lip. "So what are we going to do with him?"

"Well, I was thinking we could just weight it, take out on the boat and dump it in the ocean. We can stay out for a couple of days. The weather channel said there's going to be some storms so I think it'll work."

"That's a good idea, I'll pull my car in the garage and we'll load him there, we need to hurry."

"Ok."



***



"Is he still lying on the bed?"
  
"Yes, well let’s go ahead and dump him, before the storm totally engulfs us," I said looking at the black storm clouds looming before us.
  
"Dump who, Renee, who are you planning on dumping, huh," he said rubbing the headache out of his head.
  
All I could do was stare at him, then at Marissa, then back at him.
  
He put his arm around Marissa, "Our plan worked out perfectly, you really believe Marissa loved you and not me."

"Now, guess whose going over board," Marissa said running towards me and pushing me over with all her might.

The last thing I remember seeing was their eyes staring down at me struggling with the waves, trying desperately to keep my head above water. Finally they disappeared and the boat started to move towards shore. I looked around desperate for something that I could rest on and alleviate my fatigued muscles. Nothing, I couldn't see a thing, I just looked up at the clouds taking over the sky, hiding the beautiful stars, and accepted my fate.

Sign up for my mailing list here http://eepurl.com/BHirD

Check out my Science Fiction Thriller here Escape by Shantescia Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment